Fishtail Braiding for Beginners
This step-by-step tutorial is perfect if you’re a beginner to learning the fishtail braid! A fishtail braid is basically a 2-strand braid and is so easy to re-create once you’ve learned the technique and practiced a few times. Here’s what to do!
- Miracle Brush
- Hair Elastic
- Begin by brushing your hair throughout to ensure there are no tangles.
- Start by splitting your hair into 2 sections (aka parts – left and right). Take a thin section of hair from the left part and crossover towards the middle to combine it with the right part. Now, take a super thin section of hair from the right part and crossover towards the middle to combine with the left part. Repeat again on the left side and on the right.
- Continue taking small section of hair, combining with the opposite part until you’ve worked all the way down.
Fishtail braided hairstyles:
Once you’ve mastered the fishtail, you can incorporate it into a variety of stylish looks! Here are a few fun ideas:
- Fishtail braided ponytail – create a small fishtail braid and secure. Gather all of your hair up into a high ponytail. The fishtail will serve as an accent piece to the look.
- Braided side fishtail – gather your hair to the side to create this look. You can make it messy, tight, or relaxed and elegant – depending on the feel you’re going for.
- Thick fishtail braided pony – pull your hair in from all sides to create your thick fishtail and secure with bobby pins! This is a great formal braided look.
- Rockstar fishtail braided pony – comb back all of your hair and then create a high fishtail starting at the back crown of your head. Pull out the sides to make it more dramatic. Add some dark lipstick and go!