What to Eat for Healthy Hair
Beauty first comes from within! Food has such an enormous power on the way we look, a healthy body overall, and of course – your luscious locks! Here are some very important things to keep in mind when choosing your foods, what to eliminate from your diet, and super-foods for your hair!
Eliminate the following from your diet:
These foods will dull out not only your locks but your skin and nails as well – not to mention they provide barely any nutrition. If possible, never eat these!
- Refined Sugars (white sugar)
- Processed foods (i.e. sugary cereals, foods high in fructose corn-syrup, sodas, French fries)
- Preservatives (BHT, BHA, Sodium Nitrate, Sulfites, Sodium Benzoate)
- Harmful additives (artificial colors and flavours)
- Deep fried foods
- Hydrogenated Oils (i.e. margarine!)
- GMOs – very toxic to the body
Pretty much any junk/fast food! Always read the product label when purchasing your foods.
Never eat on the go
- When you’re snacking on the go, your body doesn’t prepare to digest the food and this creates difficulty in the assimilation of nutrients. This is even more problematic if you suffer from low stomach acid. The best way to go about eating meals is to make it a single experience – take the time to sit down and enjoy it! Smell your food, chew slowly, and actually taste every bite.
Eat More Fermented Foods
- Fermented foods should be eaten on a daily basis since they are so beneficial in developing a healthy gut microbiome. Eat foods like sauerkraut, tempeh, pickles, kimchi, and kombucha, which are all full of probiotics beneficial to digestion!
Eat Local and Organic
- Reduce the toxic load on the body as much as possible by eating only organic foods that are local and therefore contain the most nutrition.
Consume Coconut Oil
- Very high in vitamin E and healthy fats – add it to your diet daily! You can also cook with this oil because it has a high melting point and won’t oxidize like other oils will (turning it into a carcinogen).
- Contains a high dose of biotin (B7 vitamin), which as you may have heard is very beneficial for your hair! It is responsible for breaking down protein, fats, and amino acids in the body. As opposed to buying supplements though you can simply choose to eat hazelnut butter!,100g has 156% of your recommended daily dose; all you need is a tablespoon per day to meet your needs.