Casual Top Knot Tutorial
A casual top knot (or messy ballerina bun) is the perfect ‘go-to’ look that can be used on a variety of hair lengths and occasions from informal and relaxed, all the way to red-carpet flair. It also takes only minutes to put together, is completely versatile, and works well when paired with statement earrings or bold outfit choices (since it won’t be distracting and take away from the overall look). Even more, all you need is a single hair tie and a bit of spray to finish!
Here is a quick and easy way to get the casual top knot:
- Start by finger-combing your hair (a brush would make it appear more polished) all the way to the top to give it a more ‘carefree’ look, smoothing back any unsightly bumps with your hands. Pull your hair straight up for height and adjust as you go. Hold the base of your hair where you would place the elastic, then wrap and twist your hair simultaneously around itself. At this point you should have a tiny bun and are ready to secure your elastic.
- Next, grab your hair elastic and tie (not right at the bottom of the bun but about midway, otherwise it will come undone).
- Then you’ll want to begin adjusting your bun. Take two pieces opposite each other and pull. Repeat this on all sides. This will give you variation in the shape of the bun with looser pieces sticking out as well as more volume. You can also widen it by pulling pieces upward and downward.
- What tends to happen is that you get a few pieces sticking out or some that are too loose. You can actually position the bun and re-tighten it simply by pulling on the center. If you want it more pulled together, instead of placing bobby pins, just tuck any lose pieces back into the elastic. You’re going for messy/casual here!
- Tip: for fly-aways spray a small amount of the Leyla Milani Hair ‘Hold it Right There’ hairspray into your hands and smooth them out!
For full video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA9FuY3UHfQ