Basic French Braid Tutorial
Sometimes it’s great to go back to basics, especially when it comes to the infamous French Braid! To master it, all you need is a bit of practice, and a few essential tools! Here’s how to great started:
- Begin by brushing your entire head thoroughly, to ensure there are no tangles. Next, take a section of hair going from the front (your bang area), all the way to the crown area at the back, and separate this from the rest of your head. Then, you’re going to divide this section of hair into an additional 3 sections.
- Once your hair is divided into 3 sections, you are simply going to do a “cross-over technique”. That is, cross the left side over the centre section, followed by the right side over the centre section. Repeat this several times.
- Now as you continue to braid, you are going to take pieces of hair from the sides of your head to integrate into the full-braid. Simply keep adding as you continue to braid down your head.
- Once you have reached the nape of your neck, you’ll now finish with a regular 3-strand braid and secure with an elastic band. If you have some flyaways, apply a light coat of your Leyla Milani Hair ‘Hold it Right There’ Hairspray on level 1, to smooth them over.
- Practice and be patient! It may take a bit of time to build dexterity. Watching online videos can also be very helpful.
- Give your head a light spray before braiding to help keep layered pieces from falling.
- Braid tighter to get your braid to last longer OR braid loose for a messier look.
- If you get lost in the technique, simply remember to go back to the 3-strand braid!