Bouffant Ponytail Tutorial
The 60’s beehive bouffant hairstyle has been a popular style among celebrities, (sported recently by Beyoncé and Angelina Jolie) and formerly inspired by the iconic Brigette Bardot. It’s a very clean and classy look while delivering height, volume, and smoothness. In this tutorial we show you how to get the look in the version of a sleek bouffant ponytail:
- First, using a tail comb (‘Big Tease’) create a rough diamond kind of shape at the top of your head. Leave your fringe (aka bangs) out if you have them, but otherwise leave a section of hair about 4 fingers wide from your hairline to the back-brushing. Coming down to a point at each ear, leave a section just above the ear and then come down to a point towards the nape of your neck, but leaving a section underneath again. It’s almost like having a halo shape around of hair that you’ve left out. Then, clip the top section out of the way for now as well as the underneath section, clipped out of the way separately.
- Next, take your top section down and then starting at the back, take a section across, clip out of the way, spray your Leyla Milani Hair “Hold it Right There Hair Spray” (on level 2) and with your comb begin teasing the roots. Then, gently smooth the top out by tilting your brush onto the side so as not to take the back-brushing out underneath.
- Keep working up the head with a few cm deep sections, wide from point to point around your head and back-brushing all the way up. When you’re finished the entire diamond section, gently twist it up out of the way and clip and secure into place.
- Next, release your underneath sections apply a dime-sized amount smoothing cream onto your hands like a cream for even distribution. Then, with your fingertips, bring the underneath sections of your hair back, taking them up and over your back-brushing and create a ponytail. Take a small band (preferably the same color as your hair) and tie. The tighter you make the ponytail, the smoother it will be at the sides. If you keep it looser, you will get a softer texture instead (it just depends on how neat you’d like your sides to be).
- Release your top back-brush section and then once again using your fingers, put one hand underneath your ponytail and use your other hand to bring it back to the same position. Once it’s sitting how you want it, put your hand around BOTH ponytails and then tie another elastic around it. Then just use your fingertips to shape the back brushing on top.
- Last, take a bit of hair underneath and gently back-brush it, using this piece of hair to wrap around and conceal your ponytail. Finish off the look with some hairspray and there you go!
For the complete video tutorial, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUrxoZr71s