How to Revive Your Clip In Hair Extensions
Since your hair extensions very closely resemble your own hair, they can become dry, damaged, tangled, and brittle overtime. This can result from using hair tools or even just normal wear.
This article will show you not only how to repair damaged clip in hair extensions but also how to prevent damage from happening in the first place, prolonging the life of your beloved locks! Here’s what you can do to bring your hair extensions back to life:
Hot Oil Treatment
- If your extensions are brittle and with a lot of split ends, use a hot oil treatment to seal the cuticles and help repair the ends. Do this as often as needed.
- If hair is very dry/tangled—a good conditioning treatment will help to lock in the moisture. The Milani Hair “Rescue Me Hair Mask” is ideal for reviving damaged locks, deeply penetrating the hair follicle, while offering lasting hydration and protection.
- Apply liberally and wrap the extensions into a plastic bag or shower cap to further seal in the moisture. Let sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinse out with luke-warm water. It is best to let your hair extensions air-dry.
- Use a mild, sulphate-free shampoo which offers more gentle cleaning.
- Shampoo very infrequently. It is not necessary to shampoo your hair extensions on a daily basis. If you wear your extensions frequently, you can get away with washing them 1-2 times/ month.
- When shampooing, it is important to remember not to rub aggressively. Instead, apply the shampoo in a gentle downward motion.
- Always remember to use a conditioner post-shampooing.
- Always use a wide toothed comb (Milani Hair “Big Tease”). Do not use a brush since it can result in breakage, especially if you pull too hard.
- Unlike shampooing, it is important to comb your extensions every time your take them out and as frequently as possible to prevent tangling.
- Air-dry your extensions as often as possible
- Use a low-heat setting when styling
- Always apply a heat protectant before using any type of hot tool (i.e. blow-dryer, straighter, curling iron).
- Use a shine bomb/spray (Milani Hair “Glossilocks”) after you have styled your hair so your extensions will always appear shiny and glossy. “Glossilocks” will also prevent frizz and protect your hair from sun damage!
- When you store your extensions, lie them flat or hang them up.
- Always remember to disperse products evenly though clip in hair extensions using a fine-toothed comb.
- Depending on how damaged your extensions are, they may need more than one treatment