5 Iconic Halloween Hairdos
October means falling leaves, hayrides and, above all, Halloween. Is your costume ready? Looking for some ideas? While Snookie-style hair will easily scare the life (and lunch) out of your fellow partygoers, it's slightly more fun to dress up as your favorite sinister demigoddess. Check out these fun Halloween hairstyles from the big (and little) screen:
1. Elvira. Queen of horror movie marathons and originator of the most famous Halloween celebrity hairstyle of all time, Elvira is your go-to girl for Halloween hair. The “Movie Macabre” host's vertical coif makes the most of real hair extensions for a downright spooky effect. After all, not every hairdo can make your head look like a giant spider. It just goes to show that with real hair extensions, anything is possible.
2. Morticia Addams. From Carolyn Jones to Anjelica Houston, Mrs. Addams and her unusual hair have been a part of pop culture since the 1960s. There's definitely an eerie quality to these limp and listless jet-black locks. Real hair extensions, black eyeliner and a grave-cold grin are all it takes to adopt this devilish dame's look. It's a quick, iconic costume for that last-minute party.
3. Winifred Sanderson. Winifred Sanderson from “Hocus Pocus” may be a redhead, but she belongs on any list of Halloween hairdos all the same. In the role of Winnie, Bette Midler wears a hairstyle with all the drama of Elvira's but without the macabre dye job, for a style all her own. As a bonus, this fundamentally heart-shaped celebrity hairstyle will get you into all the most exclusive Valentine's Day parties.
4. Lydia Deetz. Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! With bangs that could pierce flesh, Lydia Deetz's (Winona Ryder) hairstyle reminds us once again of the mullet credo: “business in the front, party in the back.” In this case, though, the business is likely to be a funeral home. To achieve the Deetz look, use gel to sculpt precise points in the front, then add real hair extensions in the back and style them in a loose, knotted high bun.
5. Nancy Downs. “The Craft” has a plot with a message: don't use witchcraft, or you might find yourself possessed by the spirit of bad hair. Nancy's is truly a celebrity hair style at its most frightening, and while the unknown can be scary, running out of hair conditioner is scarier.
With the Halloween countdown clock now officially ticking away, we hope these spooky 'dos provide you with some of the inspiration you've been seeking. No matter whether you're more of an Elvira or a Winifred, it's time to grab your broomstick and your hairspray and get to work brewing up your own haunting looks.
Posted: Oct 05 2011